The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture seeks suitable applicants for
the position below at the Institute’s Station in Abuja:
Position: Communication Officer
Contract: 2-year renewable contract Location: Abuja
• In consultation with the IITA Communications office; implement
communication strategies and campaigns to support AfricaYam II project
• Maintain website of the Yam Community of Practice (YCoP) through a
mechanism of regular updates and communication with relevant
• Develop and Participate in producing various communication materials
including brochures, flyers, banners, posters, articles, news stories and
technical reports on AfricaYam II project activities;
• Support the development and packaging,
print/web/audiovisual/multimedia materials in a variety of formats for the
AfricaYam II project;
• Monitor stories in the print and news media that cite activities;
• Co-facilitate the dissemination of farmer- friendly information activities
through features writing, press releases, field days, radio programs and
• Assist in producing unique photography and video coverage for
• Support the production of training videos, conducting informative
interviews and testimonials aim at promoting interventions of AfricaYam II
• Review all publications and designs materials for errors before printing;
• Create and upload engaging social media content using graphics and
illustrations to increase awareness and sensitization of yam stakeholders;
Manage all exclusive photographs and video content for social media
• Monitor all social media conversations, mentions, and other activities and
provide feedback to questions and comments;
• Collect and share feedback from social media channels with relevant unit;
• Maintain the project partner and stakeholder database, making sure the
database is populated and data is kept up to date;
• Perform all other related duties that may be assigned by the supervisor.
BSc/HND in Mass Communications, Journalism, Media relations, English
Language or related degree in social science with minimum of three (3) years’
experience performing related roles in an international organization.
The ideal candidate must:
• Expert knowledge in the use of Microsoft Office Applications – Word,
PowerPoint, Outlook applications; Cloud data storage tools – Google
drive, DropBox, OneDrive.
• Adept at using major social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook
• Good skills in writing, editing and proofreading, concept and brand
• High degree of motivation, initiative, independence, reliability,
adaptability, and professional maturity.
• Good command of English – possess excellent oral and written
• Have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team-
oriented multicultural environment.
• Experience in the use of graphic design software – Adobe Suite,
CorelDraw etc; will be a plus
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent
working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
METHOD OF APPLICATION:
Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed
cover letter and curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word
format to IITA website: http://jobs.iita.org/erecruit no later than Two Weeks
from the date of this publication. The application must include the names and
e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the
applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and
evidence of current remuneration package.
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a
diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged, please
note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.